Fedora 20 and Dell Latitude e6400

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 08:08:57 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 27 August 2014 18:46:26 Brian Johnson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was recently gifted an old Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and, given its age
> and what I've read, I thought getting Fedora 20 going on it would be
> smooth.
>
> And, to some extent, it was. I was primarily concerned with the wireless,
> but that seems to have been fixed for some time.
>
> Sadly, it wasn't without issues. I'm currently having issues getting my
> trackpad and my webcam going. I've done some looking around with no luck.
>
> For the touchpad, I get basic functionality. I can "tap to click" and use
> the pointer, but I can't use the scroll areas on the side/bottom for
> scrolling. Clicking both physical buttons don't perform a middle-click, and
> tapping with 2-fingers don't give me a "right" click. Going under "mouse &
> touchpad" in Settings only gives me very basic options.
>
> Running "xinput list" shows it being seen as a "PS/2 ALPS DualPoint
> TouchPad". Searching for Fedora and this don't yield much/anything.
>
> I'm running Fedora 20 updated as of today. Kernel is
> 3.15.10-200.fc20.x86_64.
>
> I also would like to get the webcam going. When I try to run Cheese, I get
> a "no device found" error. Running lsusb doesn't show a camera attached.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Brian

To get the two button emulation working on my DELL Vostro with my logitech
wireless mouse I have the following:

[gary at gary ~]$ cat .kde/Autostart/3button
#!/bin/bash

X='/usr/bin/xinput'

for F in `$X list|grep Logitech|cut -d = -f 2|cut -c1-3` ; do
  $X set-prop $F "Evdev Middle Button Emulation" 1
done

[gary at gary ~]$

It works on my touchpad without me having to do anything.