BIOS boot partition, 4x3TB disks, and raid, problems with anaconda

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Aug 28 18:37:27 UTC 2014

On 08/28/14 20:21, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:10:54 -0700,
>   Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think you need to reserve some small space on all the drives (and
>> with 3TB drives you can afford to sacrifice a few MB), use the remainder
>> as your RAID, and let the system put the boot partition in that reserved
>> space on the primary drive (the one the BIOS sees as the boot drive).
>
> I think using raid 1 (with the 1.0 header format) can work well for
> that. There can still grub issues with having a boot just work, but at
> least you have the stuff you need available.

Yes, that was my intention, raid1 for /boot and raid6 for / Accidentally
I set /boot also to raid6 :)  But that can be fixed.

On my old system I use 1TB disks, with /boot as raid1, and grub
boot-loader installed on all disks. On that one I can boot the system
from any of disks. Which is quite handy.

The problem here seem to be that due to the disks being large (larger
than 1TB) they are setup as GPT (GUID Partition Table), and they then
also need a BIOS boot partition to work on non UEFI based systems (if I
have understood it correctly).

So, to be able to boot from any of the disks, I need a BIOS boot
partition on all disks, but anaconda seem to only install it on one of
the disks (i.e. I want the exactly identical partition tables on all disks).

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/