2nd IP address on an interface

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Aug 29 11:35:05 UTC 2014

On 08/29/2014 01:48 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2014 01:32, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com
> <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
> >
> > you are right.  ifconfig USE to be able to do this, but now it is
> just a shell?  over ip and so...
> >

> Your memory isn't quite accurate... ifconfig has never handled
> multiple IP addresses on an interface with aliases being used to
> create separate virtual interfaces instead.

Well recently I was going by:

http://www.tecmint.com/create-multiple-ip-addresses-to-one-single-network-interface/

Which show ifconfig listing all the ethn:m interfaces.  Also I use to do
a lot of vlaning when I ran radvd on linux before my firewall supported
it.  Now maybe that was back in Centos 4 days.

> It is also not a shell over ip but rather a completely different
> package with a completely different development history...
>
> This is just yet another example of why net-tools has been deprecated
> a long time and that people really need to break their muscle memory
> and use iproute2 ...

Working on it.  Really.