Secure Transactions

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 00:39:45 UTC 2014

On 08/30/2014 06:15 PM, Tod Merley wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have been using Windows monitored by Norton used almost exclusively
> to do on line transactions and banking. The strategy is simply that I
> do not use it otherwise. Transactions only.
>
> But then the W8 laptop Norton would not update or scan!! First
> attempts at fix failed and refresh and reload – well – simply have not
> worked out so far (long long story). Then the crazy windows update
> problems this month have made me a bit shy to use the W7 installs I have.
>
> So I made up some Fedora 20 flash drives to more or less imitate the
> basic “used exclusively for transactions” function I was using
> Windows/Norton for. So far so good! Indeed I find banking using
> FireFox on Fedora simply easier to use (better fonts, colors, I think).
>
> I am simply seeking thoughts on the basic approach, alternatives,
> other things to do to make a secure transaction environment.
>
> Thanks all!!
>
> Tod

There are a few steps to take.
Since it is transactions you want to secure, I have advised friends
to install these firefox add-ons (not neceCELLERY :)  in the same order:

1. Adblock Plus
2. Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
3. HttpToHttps
4. No Google Analytics
5. NOSCRIPT  .... This one is very important because you can manually
allow only the absolutely necesary scripts that websites want to run on
your machine. It just might prevent installation of malware on your
computer without your knowledge or consent.
6. Redirect Cleaner - this will prevent a website you want to visit to
redirect your browser to some other website you had no intention on
browsing. You will be  given the manual opportunity to override the
prevention.
7. No Google Tracking
8. No Yahoo Tracking
10. TrackMeNot.
11. Ghostery.
12. Self Destructing Cookies.

If you were to ask me which of these are essential, I would say
1. Noscript
2. Trackmenot
3. HttpToHttps

Also, in Firefox Settings, be sure to NEVER allow 3rd party cookies.

Mind you, there is absolutely NO guarantee that these add-on do what
they describe.
Perhaps they even do the opposite of what they claim to do.
Infiltrating you computer is much easier than you think, once you are
connected to the
internet, regardless which OS you use!!!!
In fact NSA has made sure that OS'es like
Windows, Linux, Unix and variants, OS_X,....  all have the
required back doors and trojans to access your system at will!