Secure Transactions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 31 07:57:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 09:21 +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> When logging into your bank account (or the like) the very first time,
> make a copy of its certificate/fingerprint. Every time you connect,
> verify the certificates fingerprint first. If it differs,
> take contact with your bank to make sure that it was changed. Do not
> enter anything. This procedure will make it impossible to phish or
> MITM'ing your credentials.

Ideally, for things like banking, you really want to know the
fingerprint ahead of your first use.  They should really give you a hard
copy of what to expect when you set up your account / get a new card.

The security of personal banking is terrible, anyway.  e.g. Try phoning
them up for help, but be unable to recall your password.  They'll help
you too much.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.15.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 14 16:12:39 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.