F20 + Old but unused hardware continually core dumps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Aug 31 14:38:22 UTC 2014

On 08/31/2014 04:19 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> Which CPU are you using? Unless it's a hardware defect somewhere, I'm
>> inclined to believe you could be trying to run an incompatible kernel.
>

> Hmmm . . that MB is for Socket478 processors

It would be really helpful if you'd tell us which processor it exactly is.

> and I definitely installed
> the 32 bit F20 (LiveCD install) - how could it be incompatible?
Yes, there are 2 different 32bit kernels: "kernel" and "kernel-PAE".

The "kernel-PAE" requires the CPU to support "pae", while the "kernel"
should be able to run without. A CPU w/o pae-support would be
incompatible to the pae-enabled kernel.

>  Would
> F20 64bit even install?
I am not sure, but IIRC, Socket 478-era processor all were 32bit and did
not support pae.

Ralf