/boot/efi in a dual boot system

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 31 14:50:11 UTC 2014

As I type this, I'm installing Fedora 20 on a UEFI system which already
has CentOS 7 (and nothing else).

Should the two systems share /boot/efi?

As I understand it, the answer is yes: /boot/efi is universal on a
machine.  It is where the firmware goes to load things.  Not just OS
bootloader: manufacturer-supplied EFI utilities can live there too.

But Fedora, by default, wants to create a new /boot/efi.

What is the right thing to do?  What will work?

In the current installation, I've forced Fedora to use the existing
/boot/efi.  I guess I'll see how that turns out.

I could not see any guidance in the Fedora 20 installation guide.
<https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartitioning-x86.html>
In fact, the appendix on disk partitions didn't deal with
EFI/UEFI/GPT, something I could have used.  (After 20 years of living
with MBR, I kind of got the hang of it.)