Latest systemd news

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Tue Dec 2 02:01:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 08:45:28PM -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Well, it was originally meant to be default in Fedora 14 and there were
> many discussions about it.  it is been years since that point. Perhaps
> people didn't pay attention to it and didn't realize it but it wasn't snuck
> in when people weren't looking.  There were literally hundreds of mails on
> the subject before it become default.

There will always be new participants, and we all know the Linux crowd can
be...volatile...when they're surprised.  Yes, it may not be right that
they're surprised, if there was a lot of discussion, but that is the
reality.  Some people don't pay attention, some are new since the
discussion, etc.  Normally, this wouldn't matter.  But systemd is not
normal.

> I don't mind the feedback at all.  In fact, if it was more useful,  I would
> spend *more* of my volunteer time on it and be more effective at it.

I thorougly appreciate your time and effort.  I've been in the volunteer
arena numerous times; every time, it's ended in exhaustion, firm decision
never again--and then I'm back.  Volunteer organizations will use you and
drain you; for some reason, we always come back.  It's probably some sort
of addiction.

> For my part, I have been trying to improve the quality of the documentation
> including the wiki and man pages.

That is intensely needed.  I think either new material explaining exactly
why systemd is needed, and good, is critical.  If it already exists,
collected pointers are just as good (if not better).

Sincerely,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com