So what went wrong, exactly?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:01:02 UTC 2014

On 11 December 2014 at 15:44, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I installed fedora 21 alpha a while back, I was able
> to get my nvidia GTX 750 Ti to work fairly well with binary
> drivers from rpmfusion.
>
> I've just re-installed 21 from the workstation live iso,
> and all I can get with a fresh install is the screen that
> says "Oh no something has gone wrong!".
>
> So X is working well enough to display that screen, but
> it would be nice to know what has gone wrong (and, of
> course, I have no useful log files since systemd has
> hidden all info behind cryptic binary files now).
>
> Any clues how to investigate this?

With X in F21 there's no /var/log/Xorg*log any more so to get the X log:
journalctl -b -u gdm

(you probably already know this).

Nine times out of ten when I got that message while using the nvidia
proprietary driver it turned out to be something wrong with the 3D
acceleration failing due to the bundled libGL.so.* not being loaded by
ldconfig for one reason or another. So check:
journalctl -b | grep accel
journalctl -b /usr/bin/gnome-session

right after you get the error message.

I hope that helps.