why does distro-sync find packages to downgrade after fedup

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Dec 11 22:00:35 UTC 2014

On 12/12/14 05:36, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Sure, but my question is why does fedup not take care of this downgrade and replace with the F21 packages?

Because "fedup" is not meant to be "distro-sync".  It looks for packages to be "upgraded" to the highest version available for the requested release of fedora.  If you have a version of a package installed at a higher version number it doesn't touch it.  The assumption being, I suspect, is that the package had been installed manually to resolve a bug, add a feature, or some other reason.  More dialog would have to have been added to ask you if you wanted to downgrade those packages making fedup more complex.  I believe that makes sense.....