Canon LIDE 120 scanner - should I expect this never to work?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Dec 12 20:45:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 07:56:05PM +0000, Joe Feely wrote:
>    Just got a Canon LIDE 120 scanner. Neither Simple scan nor xsane detect
>    it, though lsusb sees that it's connected.
>    I bit of Googling makes me wonder if I need to exchange it.
>    Is there a way to get it to work?
>    I'm using fc20 + MATE.
>    Thanks,
>    Joe

Joe:

I'm using a Canon Lide 210 here. I found it worked without hassle,
"out of the box," with Fedora 19 (on my netbook). That's using SANE
OR Simplescan. They both work.

I had the thought in my head that both the LIDE 1xx series and the
Lide 2xx series were all software compatible, but I could be wrong.

Oh, also, one thing I discovered the hard way is that cable length
on this scanner MATTERS. I wanted to put it on a bookshelf near my
computer, but to do that I need a (much) longer USB cable. To my
surprise it doesn't work AT ALL with 15-20 feet of cable. not merely
wrong, but just plain busted. so, when I want to use it, I open my
desk drawer, perch the scanner on the open drawer, and connect it
with a combination of the provided cable and an extension of 4-5
feet, with which it does work. The moral of the story being: if you've
tried it only on a long cable, try a short one and see if it works
any better.

You may also want to ensure that F20 hasn't suffered a regression in
their scanner support: on F20 I've got the following SANE packages
installed:
sane-frontends-1.0.14-16.fc19.i686
sane-backends-libs-1.0.24-7.fc19.i686
xsane-common-0.999-12.fc19.i686
xsane-gimp-0.999-12.fc19.i686
libsane-hpaio-3.13.11-4.fc19.i686
sane-backends-1.0.24-7.fc19.i686
sane-backends-drivers-scanners-1.0.24-7.fc19.i686

My (admittedly flaky) memory tells me that you need at least backends
version 1.0.22 to get the lide drivers.

Simple-scan is:

simple-scan-3.8.0-1.fc19.i686

Good luck!