Canon LIDE 120 scanner - should I expect this never to work?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 13 01:19:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:21:18PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:15:05PM +0100, Marco Guazzone wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've experienced similar issues with an old CanonScan.
> > It worked until Fedora 19, but not in Fedora 20.
> > I've tried with:
> > simple-scan
> > xsane
> > gimp + sane plugin
> > command line: scanimage -d plustek ...
> > The last one returned an I/O error. Just to make sure it's not a
> > scanner problem, I've asked a collegue of mine (which runs a fedora
> > 19) to test it and it worked.
> >
> > I hope that Fedora 21 (that I'm going to install in the next few days)
> > can bring it back to life.
>
> sounds like a regression to me!

Just booted up a F20 live CD (usb stick) on my netbook, installed
the sane bits and played around a bit. with no picture in the scanner
I got a page that was black with a lot of noise in it. I figured it wasn't
good, because on Centos 7 on that same computerr I got a white page doing
that, as I should.

but I said what the heck and put in a piece of paper with a Dilbert
cartoon on it, and voila, it scanned!

So, as to why you can't scan with your Canoon Lide, I can't say. as
someone else suggested, check that config file (/etc/sane.d/genesys.conf)
to make sure it has a valid entry. On my Centos-6 box, it contains:

# Canon LiDE 110
usb 0x04a9 0x1909

Oh, wait. you said you've got a LiDE 120? I see that's not listed.
you could try adding its USB identifiers and see if that helps any.

also, as I recall form some time back it wasn't hard to hack the
sane source code to add a new identifier (as long as the support for
it was otherwise in the program already).

Good luck!

> > Best,
> >
> > -- Marco

> > > My guess is that genesys driver would work since it's used for most of
> > > the LIDE scanners. It may just not recognize the USB ID of your
> > > scanner.
> > >
> > > You could try including the USB ID of your scanner (from "lsusb") in
> > > the /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf file and trying to search for the scanner
> > > again. If it finds it, you could try a scan. Be careful, though. The
> > > developer warns:
> > >
> > > "This is stable software for supported models. But if you  test  new  or
> > > untested  scanners, keep your hand at the scanner's plug and unplug it,
> > > if the head bumps at the end of the scan area."
> > > - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks at alldigital.com -
> > > - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> > > -                                                                    -
> > > -   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
> > > -     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -
> > --
>
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
>                         The Lord is like a strong tower.
>              Those who do what is right can run to him for safety.
> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?