Fedora 21: How do I get to the Software Selection screen as shown in the Install Guide?

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Sat Dec 13 19:08:46 UTC 2014

> On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 08:27 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>   I am a bit embarrassed asking this, as it must be something simple I
>> overlooked. I have had no trouble installing the previous 20 versions of
>> Fedora, but 21 has me stumped. I am using the Fedora 21 server DVD
>> image, want the Mate base environment, and want to pick several add-ons.
>> In general I want the screen shown in section 5.4.7 of the Installation
>> Guide. When I attempt this the only base option is Fedora Server, and
>> there aren't nearly enough add-ons to pick from.
>>
>>   Thanks in advance for any help on this. I would really like to start
>> using 21.
>>
>> Jim Lewis
>> RHCSA
>> Senior Software Engineer (retired)
>>

> I too was confused!
>
> I want things like xfce, gedit, pcmanfm, evolution, kmail, kdm, ...
>
> I don't want Gnome
>
> I tried Fedora-Server-DVD-x86_64-21.iso which was a total failure
> not even X would work without installing extra bits
> eg yum install xorg-x11-drv-*
>
> ja at paxos F21 2$ ltr -h
> total 5.0G
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ja sysadmin 1.4G Dec  3 21:37
> Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ja sysadmin 424M Dec  4 00:45
> Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-21.iso
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ja sysadmin 2.0G Dec  4 00:46
> Fedora-Server-DVD-x86_64-21.iso
> -rw-r-----. 1 ja sysadmin 424M Dec 10 14:04 boot.iso
> -rw-r-----. 1 ja sysadmin 400K Dec 11 16:33 bfo.usb
> -rw-r-----. 1 ja sysadmin 892M Dec 11 17:18
> Fedora-Live-Xfce-x86_64-21-5.iso
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ja sysadmin 1.5K Dec 11 18:34 README
>
> I found using Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-21.iso the best option
> Lots of choices available
> It took about 30 minutes to download my choices (XFCE) with a 2Mbyte/s
> ADSL line
>
> Very inconvenient compared with NFS mounting a "complete" DVD and
> installing from there
>
> Then there are the other machines to install ...
> dump 0f - /dev/sdb7 | restore -rf - 	approach works Ok - very fast 20sec
> ish
> but its easy to have finger trouble sorting things out after the restore!
>
> John

Hi John,

  Thanks for the reply. The install was easy and well thought out in the
previous versions of Fedora. I sure wish they would put more thought
into these types of decisions.

  Anyway, I have the Mate-Compiz spin installed on one of my laptops and
it's looking okay. Is at least usable since it does not have Gnome. Do
you remember if Mate was an option when you installed using the
Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-21.iso image?

Thanks!