OT: disabling <ctrl><shift>f produces a "find" menu.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 14 03:56:22 UTC 2014

On 14/12/14 14:04, Jim Lewis wrote:

>> Struggling with this and don't know who else to ask ....
>>
>> I have just found out how to produce accented characters when typing,
>> hex number for producing the desired symbol.  E.g. <ctrl><shift>ue9
>> produces e-acute.
>>
>> Fine.  Except ... any hex numbers that involve "f" result in a "find"
>> menu popping up --- instead of the character I want being produced.
>>
>> I figure there *must* be a way to switch off or disable this annoying
>> useless pop-up menu so that it does not interfere with getting accented
>> characters.  But I'm damned if I can find a way.  Can anyone point me in
>> the right direction?
>>
>> The annoying phenomenon seems to be associated with the Gnome terminal;
>> I have just realized that it *doesn't* arise when I am actually
>> composing an email (in a Thunderbird email window).  In the Gnome
>> terminal there is a "Search" item on the menu bar and that indicates
>> that <ctrl><shift>f is a "short-cut" for "Find".
>>
>> Thanks for any insights.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rolf Turner
>>

> Hi Rolf,
>
>    This might work for you: In your terminal go to Edit->Keyboard Shortcuts...
>
>    A panel will come up. To disable a shortcut click on the Shortcut Key
> entry for it until it says "New accelerator" and press Backspace. It
> should then say "Disabled".

<SNIP>

The foregoing suggestion does not work, because the "Find ..." shortcut
does not appear in the panel that one gets from
"Edit-> Keyboard Shortcuts".  That shortcut *only* appears in the panel
that one gets from the "Search" item on the menu bar, and *that* does
not seem to be editable.

Has anyone else any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

cheers,