OT: disabling <ctrl><shift>f produces a "find" menu.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 14 05:20:03 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 14 December 2014, Rolf Turner sent:
> I saw stuff about "the compose key" bizzo while googling around, but I
> couldn't figure out how to "create" a compose key.  I tried to follow
> some instructions that I found, but could not get them to work.

I'm using Gnome, or Mate, depending on which computer I'm on.  In the
keyboard preferences window, there's a layout settings button, it pops
up another configuration window.  Then there's an options button in that
second window, somewhere in the layouts section.  Then you get a third
window pop up, that has a list of things you can configure, open the
compose key position tree, and choose your preferred key.

> I have seen other references to the "right-side windows key" but I
> don't see any obvious candidate on my keyboard.  (I have a Toshiba
> Satellite 850 laptop).

If I believe google image searches, you've got a left windows icon key,
and a right windows menu key.  You have alt keys either side (for which
some things don't care which one you use, other things do)

On some keyboards, you have useless keys that you can re-use, on others
you might have to forgo another key.  On one of mine, I probably picked
the right CTRL key, since I'm used to using the left one any time I do a
control key sequence.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.