why does distro-sync find packages to downgrade after fedup

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Dec 14 15:20:34 UTC 2014

On 12/14/2014 02:07 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 12/14/14 18:10, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> Because "fedup" is not meant to be "distro-sync".
>> Even its developer seems to disagree with that:
>>
>>    https://github.com/wgwoods/fedup/issues/21
>>     [ Add --distro-sync mode #21 ]
>>
>> There's a long thread on test@ list about broken deps during/after a dist upgrade.
>
> Yes, there is a discussion about that....    Can't say that I'm bothered by that.....
You should be - Why? In case something in rpm changes, packages from
different fedora releases will be incompatible and broken to different
extends, independently of their NEVRs.

This situation is quite realistic - We've had this kind of changes
several times before. It's just that this has not happened in recent
past, which probably is the reason why people have forgotten about it.

Ralf