Fedora-21 upgrade - lost WiFi

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Dec 15 21:24:54 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Make sure you have NetworkManager-wifi package installed.  NetworkManager
> became a lot more modular and wifi support is now a plugin.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this wasn't the issue -
NetworkManager-wifi was already installed.
In view of your comment that NM is now more modular
I yum-installed NetworkManager-* which brought in several packages,
but none unfortunately did the trick.

Actually, this was my second-best laptop, a ThinkPad T61
(which I shall leave to my wife)
and I'm on holiday in Italy now with my best, a ThinkPad T510.
(When I acquired it a couple of months ago,
it seemed the most recent ThinkPad that worked under Linux
with no problems whatever reported).

Thinking about the WiFi problem in absentia,
I'm trying to work out HOW Fedora/Linux determines what driver to use
with a given WiFi card, or indeed any card?
And more relevantly, what makes the Linux kernel issue the RF-kill command
([tim at rose network-scripts]$ sudo ifconfig wlp3s0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill )
This seems (to me) to imply that the kernel chose the driver iwl4965
and then decided that it did not work?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net