So acrobat is dead for linux - long live evince?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Dec 16 07:34:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org> wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 10:03 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> This probably doesn't matter much to kde users, but pulling in 50
>>> additional
>>
>> Just as point of comparison, ... LibreOffice
>> on Linux is not some Tonka Toy app (although Tonka Toys are badass,
>> they're obviously not the Real Deal) either, and it has a commensurate
>> size:
>>
>> # dnf install libreoffice
>> Install  85 Packages
>> Total download size: 126 M
>> Installed size: 393 M
>

> May be, but some users, including me, dont want to use mixed Qt/GTK.
> Fortunately, the LO deps are not about Qt related things, as on a GTK-only
> system you can use LO.

I don't know what that means. My concerns would be things like: is it
stable, does it perform well, support the features people need like
document signing, display and print color and fonts and other content
as the document creator intended, etc. It's important that there be
free software that can at least create, display and print PDF/A, and
ideally it should be able to create, display, modify, and print any
ISO 32000 / PDF spec 1.7 document. I really doesn't understand the
relevance of libraries in the evaluation metric.

--
Chris Murphy