getting rid of yum

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 08:31:22 UTC 2014

On 15. 12. 2014 at 13:03:54, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Ranjan Maitra
>
> <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > Because (from what I understood, perhaps incorrectly) yum is going away in
> > favor dnf, I was trying to get used to the latter. Because the former is
> > so ingrained in me, I was trying to get rid of it from the system so that
> > not having it available would force me to think and thus get used to dnf.
> >
> > So I try:
> >
> > dnf erase yum
>
> I suggest being really skeptical of dnf erase suggestions. It can be
> brutal (don't try dnf erase kernel for example, it'll remove all
> kernels including the running one).

This is not true, the issue was fixed quite some time ago:

[root at boson ~]# dnf erase kernel
Dependencies resolved.
Error: The operation would result in removing the booted kernel:
kernel-3.17.4-200.fc20.x86_64.

> I also suggest being prepared to
> file a bug in which case you need to use --debugsolver, e.g.
> dnf --debugsolver upgrade
> dnf --debugsolver erase blah
>
> And then tar the resulting debug folder in the current directory and
> attach to the bug. It's close to 100% chance you'll be asked for it so
> you might as well just provide it from the start.

This is definitely a good advice. Even though most of these issues are caused
by poor packaging of various Fedora rpms, it helps a lot to know what exactly
happened. See this page for more information on how to report a bug so it's as
helpful and descriptive as possible:

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/wiki/Bug-Reporting

Thanks
Jan