Fedora 21 update (not upgrade) fails with broken boot

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Dec 18 17:06:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

A recent update with new kernel has broken my boot. This is what happens: I boot in through grub. Pretty soon, I get:

Generating "/run/initramfs/rsdsosreport.txt"
Welcome to emergency mode! After loggin in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to try again to boot into defauly mode.
Give root password for maintenance.
(or press Control-D to continue):

I do not have root on this machine, so I am not sure what to do (I have sudo status). What am I supposed to do? (I may say Ctrl-D does get me the login screen, but why this message and rigmarole)?

This is the third time this has happened, on a laptop. The other two laptops had this issue at different times towards the fag end of F20 and could only be fixed by a reinstall of the OS.

Any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated. Happy to provide more information as possible.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.