Fedora 21 update (not upgrade) fails with broken boot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 18 20:03:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much again! I did as you suggested and copied the file over to /tmp and uploaded it over.
>
> $ fpaste /tmp/rdsosreport.txt
> Uploading (5.2KiB)...
> http://ur1.ca/j5tak -> http://paste.fedoraproject.org/161093/89317911

5.2KiB is too small, did it get truncated? Is the original
/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt that small? Normally rdsosreport is too
big for fpaste in my experience (?) but I forget what the fpaste
limits are.

Anyway, if the rdsosreport is really that small, then you're going to
need to extract more information than you currently have.

mount /dev/usb /sysroot
journalctl -l -o short-monotonic > /sysroot/journal.txt
umount /sysroot
exit

Now you can put the journal.txt somewhere.

ACTUALLY before you go to the trouble of all of that, there is a newer
dracut, so I would do this instead first:

dnf upgrade dracut --enablerepo=updates-testing
dracut -f

That'll get you dracut-038-32.git20141216.fc21, and a new initramfs
built with that. See if that fixes boot. And if it doesn't THEN you
can write out a journal and post it somewhere.

--
Chris Murphy