yum or dnf question

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 09:35:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-19 at 09:55 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> is it possible to run "yum/dnf update [<some pkgs>]" (from the official
> repos) together with some rpm file residing on my box (for example
> downloaded from koji)?
>
> Example: I need such a mechanism if mutual dependencies exist between
> pkgs from the repo and the rpm on my box.
>
> KInd regards
>
> Joachim Backes
> --
>
> Fedora release 21 (Twenty One)
> Kernel-3.17.6-300.fc21.x86_64
>

> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
> https://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Hi
I use the following method to achieve this - there may
be a better method

I have a local-20-update repo which I populate with "update" rpms
and then run createrepo

When I run yum, the "cost=1" setting forces this repo to be used first
If an rpm or dependency is required that is not available locally
it will be down loaded from the "normal" remote repo

Each of my machines are set to pick up "updates" locally if possible

ja at paxos yum.repos.d 4$ cat local-20-update.repo
[local-20-update]
name=Local Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
cost=1
baseurl=file:///global/local_repos/20/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

John

PS
I also have a script that picks up "updates"
and hence only one download is required for several machines