[OT] Compiling a module for the Fedora kernel

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Dec 22 17:55:20 UTC 2014

On 12/22/2014 08:52 AM, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> Am 22.12.2014 um 00:11 schrieb poma:

>>> Yes, I'll do so when I have figured out how to apply the patch to
>>> the nouveau driver from freedesktop.org. The patch is *againsts the
>>> kernel source*, like: --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/... +++
>>> b/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/... but the structure of the driver
>>> from git is: nouveau/drm/core/... (sorry for being so clueless, but
>>> I never dealt with kernel modules ...)
>>>

>> Check rhbz #1121331, recent comments.
>
> Thank you for your detailed instructions on bugzilla, they were easy to
> follow - but on reboot, the gpu fan began to roar like before, although
> no errors occurred during the process of building and installing the
> nouveau module:
>
> 1. The nouveau source from git got patched by your patchfile in exactly
> the same way as the kernel source tree got patched by "my" patchfile.
> The four respective files were identical.

Are all four files inside nouveau or is there one or a couple that patch
something else?

> 2. The make process of the nouveau module finished without error, I
> copied nouveau.ko to
> /lib/modules/3.17.6-300.fc21.x86_64/updates/
>
> 3. After depmod, modinfo -n showed the appropriate location of the module:
> /lib/modules/3.17.6-300.fc21.x86_64/updates/nouveau.ko
>
> So I really can't figure out what happened, I repeated the process of
> rebuilding the complete kernel tree and got a quiet fan again ...

a) Does your patch modify the version number of the driver, and if so,
b) After installing the new driver, does "modinfo nouveau" show your
new version?
-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -