[OT] Compiling a module for the Fedora kernel

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Dec 24 17:50:53 UTC 2014

On 12/22/2014 10:31 AM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> On 12/22/14 19:10, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 12/22/2014 10:03 AM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>>> Regarding Nicks question, here I get:
>>> $ modinfo nouveau
>>> filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.7-300.fc21.x86_64/updates/nouveau.ko
>>>
>>> Which is the file I compiled.
>>
>> I was more interested in the "version:" line, not the filename, but
>> looking at nouveau, it doesn't support that, just the "vermagic:" line.
>> Grrrrr!
>
> Sorry for misspelling your name.
>
> Yes, no version, just vermagic.
>
> You were completely right. Step "5. Rebuild initramfs...make sure the
> new module is included" is needed. Just did it, and my computer is now
> as silent as it was when I bought it :) Thanks!

No worries about the name. I've been called far, FAR worse things!

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. Nouveau is one of those drivers that
needs to be in the RAM disk at boot (along with any filesystem and disk
drivers needed to get / mounted). And if you're mucking with kernel
modules, it never hurts to rebuild the RAM disk when you're done.