assigning a usbdevice to a gnome-boxes guest/domain

Stefan Huchler stefan.huchler at mail.de
Sun Dec 28 01:25:37 UTC 2014

I want to assign to a guest/domain in gnome-boxes a usb-device a
chipcardreader.

In general if I use the gui method it works like expected.

The problem is that you have to activate the usbdevice after each
suspention of the guest again and again.

So after searching for a solution Ive seen some suggestion like that:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
   <source>
       <vendor id='0x0763'/>
       <product id='0x202a'/>
   </source>
</hostdev>

I start virsh and edit form there the host add this under devices and
restart the guest. When I try to resume the domain from gnome-boxes I
get an error like "cant resume" no specifics why.

When I then restart the gnome-boxes programm and try resuming again it
works. But the usb device is not forwarded so I have to forward it
manual again. In the xml file with edit command I dont find this part I
added.

So Gnome-boxes seems to overwrite it on start with something or virsh
does not save it.

I think it has something to do with this spicevmc devices I think they
fight over the same usb-devices.