Saving ios data dash

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 30 11:47:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 12:57 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Firefox 34.0 in an updated Fedora-21 64 bit XFCE etc.

Here, Firefox 34.0 on up to date Fedora 20.

The uname -rsvp in my signatures (I couldn't resist putting the options
in that order) is a script that always shows the specs of whatever
computer I am writing my emails on.

> The following .css file:
>
> [bobg at box7 chrome]$ cat userContent.css
>  # !/bin/bash
>  # /home/bobg/.mozilla/firefox/xx34clzp.default/chrome/userContent.css
>
>  *
>   {
>    color: white !important;
>    background: black !important;
>   }

What's with the # !/bin/bash and other stuff?  It's not an executable
script, and CSS comments need delimiting in a different way.

CSS files are just a set of styling rules, the same as used in webpages
and websites.  So reduce that test file down to the bare minimum that I
demonstrated, and it works for me.

 *
    {
     color: white !important;
     background: black !important;
    }

The file just needs to be readable, nothing else.

If you want to add comments, to remind you of things in the file, you
can do so using /* comment */ delimiters (begin with slash asterisk, end
with asterisk slash, like I've done in prior emails).

I created a "chrome" directory inside my ~/.mozilla/firefox/vge7ihf.default/
directory, and saved that (above) four-line example as a userContent.css
file, inside it.

There are plenty of other CSS tricks you can do, if needed, but just
start off with getting the bare basics to work, first.  Bearing in mind
that if you try to do something sensible like force all fonts to be a
useful readable size, you can get hamstrung by pages which shrunk the
fonts to fit in the spaces they left between graphics, and they'll
no-longer fit.

I've just noticed that border colours seem to need separately forcing,
else some things that have borders around them may use a colour that's
the same as your background choice (and they'll disappear), so you may
want to add a border-color: red !important; clause in there, too (or
some other more useful to you colour).  And you may need to separately
force input boxes, too, with a -moz-appearance: none !important; (to
take away a browser built in style).  Looks like the everything wildcard
isn't quite everything.

e.g. Try this as your entire userContent.css file:

 *
    {color: white !important;
     background: black !important;
     border-color: red !important;
    -moz-appearance: none !important;}

It's not "run," as such.  But when the browser fires up, it reads that
file, and applies the page styling rules on top of whatever rules
already came with the browser, and the website.  No plug-ins required,
it's a basic thing of how browsers are supposed to do CSS.

One gotcha is that the browser only seems to read this file as it's
fired up.  If you change the file, you need to completely quit and
restart the browser before the CSS file will be reloaded.

The Opera web browser used to be extremely flexible in letting you mess
with stylesheets, but I haven't used it for some years to see what state
it's in, now.  Google-chrome has become designed-broken by not properly
implementing a user-configurable user style sheet.  But Firefox still
seems to do its tricks, properly.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.7-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 04:08:31 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.