F21 enabling java runtime in Firefox

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 30 13:37:45 UTC 2014

On 12/30/2014 06:48 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:37:27 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> And it is installed on the system.  Or it seems so:
>>

>> # java -version
>> openjdk version "1.8.0_25"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b18)
>> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)
>>
>> So what is Firefoxes problem?
> It doesn't look for the "java" executable but for a plugin.
>
> "yum search java browser plug" finds the "icedtea-web" package,
> which you will need to install.

Ah.  I have a history of rather weak search foo.  And I did read up
about icetea as the code name for the Fedora JRE.  Should have guessed
the rest.

> It's a bit unfortunate that "yum search java browser plugin" is not
> successful, because some packages spell it "plugin" while others spell
> it "plug-in".

You know how they say that constancy is overrated.  And that variety is
the spice of life.  ;)

My wife was not pleased with how late I was at the computer last night...