wireless is strange

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 30 14:47:14 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 30 December 2014, bruce sent:
> whether or not hiding does any good or not isn't the issue with what
> antonio was/is presenting..
>
> he;s simply saying/asking if there should be a bug filed in this case,
> or if seeing a "?" is the correct behaviour in the case of there being
> hidden SSIDs?

But do you want to go bug hunting regarding a bad way of using a
network, or would you rather just have a working network?

It doesn't help in the way people think it does, and it does cause you
problems hiding it.  That was yet another one...

Heck, it's even more tempting when you hide the SSID, to some computer
users.  On one of my computers with a horrible Windows OS, access points
with hidden SSIDs aren't omitted from the list of available networks,
they're actually listed as a hidden network (or similar words that I
can't quite remember right now), to all users on the computer, not just
to something that script kiddies might be playing with.

Seriously, turn on the SSID, make life easier for yourself, whether
you're just an end user, or a network administrator having to deal with
all the support issues for your users.

It's like a "don't touch, wet paint," sign.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

ZNQR LBH YBBX