UEFI issue for dual boot.

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 07:03:05 UTC 2014

On 2 February 2014 08:57, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 February 2014 06:18, Robin Laing <MeSat at telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Successfully installed F19 (a few months ago) with UEFI and it boots into
>> Fedora with no issues.  Trying to boot into Windows gives an error about
>> finding the EFI files.
>>
>> On investigation, I find that there are two EFI boot enabled partitions.
>>  One has the Windows files (/dev/sda1) and the other is the Linux boot
>> partitions (/dev/sda4).
>>
>> How do I move or change the configuration so I can dual boot in Windows
>> as the grub menu selection for the Windows boot manager doesn't point to
>> /dev/sda1.
>>
>> I am willing to do a fresh install if needed.
>>

> You could consolidate the two EFI partitions, see this for more details:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1661415#post1661415
>
> Alternatively you can do a clean install and make sure the installer sets
> the mount point of the Windows (original?) EFI partition as /boot/efi.

Also - and I've never tried this before, so I am not sure it'll work - you
can try adding a 'set root' line to the windows entry in
/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg so that it becomes:

menuentry 'Windows Boot Manager' {
         set root='hdX,gptY'
          chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
          boot
}

and change X and Y to match the windows EFI partition on your system; for
example if it's /dev/sda2 it would be 'hd0,gpt2'.
GRUB starts counting HDD from 0, so sda is 0, sdb is 1.. etc. And it starts
counting partitions from one so sda2 is gpt2.

Personally I think consolidating the two EFI partitions is the cleaner
solution.

--
Ahmad Samir