gnome-shell won't start

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 3 21:04:26 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 11:40 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using
> gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts
> but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

being a kde user, i can not suggest to look for.

being a linux user, i can make a couple suggestions for testing.

<>
 > The root account can get a
> gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems.

because of this, have you tried booting init level 3, login and
use startx.

 > I don't mind using KDE,

does that mean that you have tried kde and it works?

have you tried creating another user to see if a user starting gnome
desktop works?

anything in system logs?

much luck.

--