another systemd oddity: why is "syslog.socket" inactive when syslog is running?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Feb 5 10:24:42 UTC 2014

On 02/05/14 17:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   just another one of those little curiosities -- playing on my f20
> system and the difference between:
>
> $ systemctl list-sockets
> $ systemctl list-sockets --all
>
> is the single additional line:
>
>> /run/systemd/journal/syslog     syslog.socket    rsyslog.service
> which seems odd when syslog is clearly running:
>
> # systemctl status syslog
> rsyslog.service - System Logging Service
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service; enabled)
>    Active: active (running) since Sat 2014-02-01 17:44:36 EST; 3 days ago
>  Main PID: 654 (rsyslogd)
>    CGroup: /system.slice/rsyslog.service
>            └─654 /sbin/rsyslogd -n
> ... snip ...
> #
>
>   so why would the syslog socket be classified as inactive while the
> syslog service is running? is this another remnant from earlier
> releases? still digging into systemd so it's entirely possible this is
> a stupid question.

Well....  If you look at /lib/systemd/system/cups.socket you'll see

[Socket]
ListenStream=/var/run/cups/cups.sock

and

[root at meimei system]# file /var/run/cups/cups.sock
/var/run/cups/cups.sock: socket

Shows the existence of the socket.  But looking in syslog.socket you'll see ....

[Socket]
ListenDatagram=/run/systemd/journal/syslog

and

[root at meimei system]# file /run/systemd/journal/syslog
/run/systemd/journal/syslog: ERROR: cannot open `/run/systemd/journal/syslog' (No such file or directory)

So, it would seem that particular socket it not created/in use for whatever particular reason.

I'm not much into the differences/history between syslog, rsyslog interactions with journald but the answer probably lies there.....

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts