Fedora 20 and VmWare

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:57:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 05:19 -0500, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:
> On 04/02/14 20:42, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >>
> >> For VMware Workstation 10 there's no patch needed.  Or at least I
> >> haven't needed one.  I'm running Windows 7 in a VM with no issues.
> >
> > I run Win7 and Win8 using libvirt straight out of the box on 64-bit F19
> > with no issues. Granted, I don't do anything fancy with Windows (I only
> > use it when the bosses hold a gun to my head and even then I protest a
> > lot).
> >
> > I haven't moved up to F20 yet. It scares me a bit.
> > - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks at alldigital.com -
>

> Well maybe VMware 10 is different?  It was installed from
> VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.2-1031769.x86_64.txt, bought from an on-line
> vendor that appeared to be legit. Harry Reindl seemed to know where to
> find the patch, never indicated it was unusual to have to do?
>
> When I start VMware, from the XFCE menu, now I get only an error message
> block that says: "Before you can run VMware several modules must be
> compiled and installed in the running kernel, Cancel/Install"  I can
> click on Install and nothing happens after that, just a bare desktop
> display, no activity on-line in my router real time display so it's not
> trying to download anything from them?
>
>  From the command line:
>
> [bobg at box10 ~]$ vmware
> Logging to /tmp/vmware-bobg/vmware-modconfig-4445.log
> and then the same error message block pops up.
>
> I used it to run F-20 beta and this released version for a while from
> F-19 before doing this F-20 install and each updated kernel required a
> patch,  e.g. 3.10 to 3.11 to 3.12 etc.
>
> Does that indicate a problem with my VMware install, am I unique? I
> bought it not expecting those problems and I believe they offer an
> upgrade for additional money which I would hesitate to buy knowing what
> I know now ... I would appreciate hearing that I've done something
> wrong, contact with their sales operation before I bought it was not
> productive. Still waiting for a call back many months later ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
>
> --
> http://www.qrz.com/db/w2bod
> Box10 Fedora-20/64bit Linux/XFCE

Hi
I made some notes to myself last Dec - They may be useful
I am running fully updated F20 with VM Workstation 9.0.2 with
Windows 7 with no problems.
I use USB programmers a lot from the virtual machine and several years
ago had to use VMware for them to work. Maybe the alternatives are
better now.

John

2013_12_27
Compiling patched modules for WS-9.0.2 and kernel 3.12 (F20)
The main source of info is here - also source of vmblock-3.12-patch
http://dominator008.com/constructionyard/2013/10/03/vmware-9-0-2-vmblock-patch-for-linux-kernel-3-12/
Other sites
http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/plain/vmware-patch/
https://sites.google.com/site/mysticalzerotmp
Remove any lurking versions of vmware workstation
vmware-installer -u  vmware-workstation
Install version 9.0.2
/global/db/sw/VMware_9.0/VMware-Workstation-Full-9.0.2-1031769.x86_64.txt
(Python errors given - ignore) It still seems to complete successfully !
Down load the patches
cd /global/db/sw/F20/VMware_Patches
wget
http://pkgbuild.com/git/aur-mirror.git/plain/vmware-patch/vmnet-9.0.2-5.0.2-3.12-3.11-3.10.patch
wget https://sites.google.com/site/mysticalzerotmp/vmblock.3.10.patch
wget https://sites.google.com/site/mysticalzerotmp/vmblock.3.11.patch
wget http://dominator008.com/crate/vmblock-3.12-patch
Note the hyphons in vmblock-3.12-patch !
Apply the patches
cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

tar -xvf vmblock.tar
cd vmblock-only
patch -p1 -i /global/db/sw/F20/VMware_Patches/vmblock.3.10.patch
patch -p1 -i /global/db/sw/F20/VMware_Patches/vmblock.3.11.patch
patch -p1 -i /global/db/sw/F20/VMware_Patches/vmblock-3.12-patch
cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
tar -cf vmblock.tar vmblock-only
rm -rf vmblock-only

tar -xvf vmnet.tar
cd vmnet-only
patch -p1
-i /global/db/sw/F20/VMware_Patches/vmnet-9.0.2-5.0.2-3.12-3.11-3.10.patch
cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
rm -rf vmnet-only
Build the modules from the CL
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
or via gui
vmware