Development question

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Feb 8 00:17:12 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 04:54 PM, CS DBA wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> It seems to me that the "marriage" that Microsoft & Apple enjoy per
> hardware designed for their software gives them a huge advantage. I
> see that the Linux community is quite good at coming up with drivers,
> software, etc for hardware after the fact.
>
> I wonder, what could be accomplished if a Linux based distro had the
> same advantage?  I'm in the early stages of researching just such a
> company.
>
> We'll be setting up some infrastructure around community involvement
> and feedback, however I'd be interested in any initial feedback you
> all have.
>
> I'm thinking that the OS would remain fully open source (GPL) and we'd
> license the hardware specs in the same way.
>
> Then we could release laptops & desktops that truly have an advantage.
> The company would couple a solid Linux distro with it's own tweaks
> (polish & branding & such) coupled with our own hardware.
>
> I suspect that instead of waiting for the current HW vendors to
> release new hardware and then quickly figure out how to interface with
> it we can put effort into polish and functionality and quickly become
> the trend setters for MS and Apple to follow.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance
Sounds good, but bucking the likes of MS and Apple? And I think it would
be difficult to compete hardware-wise, since you wouldn't have the
huge base to get the advantage of large quantity hardware buys.  Of
course, Apple has that, but still charges an arm and a leg for their
hardware. . . .
If you do pursue this, I hope you don't commit to something like Ubuntu,
with its hated interface. Your system should offer some choices.

Good luck!

--doug