why would using "sftp" require disabling "vsftpd"?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 05:52:59 UTC 2014

On 07.02.2014 10:36, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 08:30:26AM +0100, poma wrote:
>> Thanks for asking!
>> Actually with that phrase I stress somewhat of a misnomer for the
>> program - "sftp".
>> Some kind of comparison would be, if something like a web browser gets
>> the name as "http".
>
> Sure: telnet and telnetd
>       rlogin and rlogind
>       ssh and sshd
>       ftp and ftpd
>
> Which actually makes me surprised there wasn't a `http` client sooner. Not
> surprisingly, there actually _is_ one in Fedora -- try `yum install
> /usr/bin/http`. And it actually looks kind of nice. It's got colors. :)

A colorized curl! :)
BTW 'HTTPie' is a cool name, why change it in 'http'!?

The [d]aemons ending with 'd' regarding a naming scheme are OK,
e.g.
/usr/sbin/smb[d]
/usr/sbin/ssh[d]
/usr/sbin/http[d]
/usr/sbin/vsftp[d]
/usr/sbin/rpc.gss[d]
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfs[d]
/usr/kerberos/sbin/ftp[d]
/usr/kerberos/sbin/telnet[d]
others with original names,
e.g.
/usr/sbin/dropbear
and other less original,
e.g
/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
are also OK.

The clients who distinguish from the protocols are also OK,
e.g.
/usr/bin/lynx
/usr/bin/lftp
/usr/bin/links