Best practices for SSD

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Feb 8 22:04:42 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 06:54 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> And here is a recent thread, just under one year old….
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/2/23/107
>
> Anyway, the fs developers have been speaking about it quite a bit and for a long time.

I guess I could have Google'd for this, but after reading over a few of these
links they don't produce any quantitative evidence that TRIM (in its current
state) causes a significant problem. I see theoretical discussions that TRIM,
being non-queued, can be detrimental. However, real-life performance tests show
TRIM use to be insignificant.

Windows 7 and higher uses TRIM in a "discard"-like manner and it is
automatically enabled. I do not hear of Windows users complaining about poor
performance or blog posts recommending it be disabled (in fact Google will show
the opposite).