is "groupmems" not being setgid worth a bugzilla report?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Feb 9 09:24:06 UTC 2014

On 02/09/14 17:07, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   on my f20 system, perusing the account-related commands and ran
> across the "groupmems" command, whose man page reads:
>
> "SETUP
>        The groupmems executable should be in mode 2770 as user root and in group groups. The system administrator can
>        add users to group groups to allow or disallow them using the groupmems utility to manage their own group
>        membership list.
>
>                 $ groupadd -r groups
>                 $ chmod 2770 groupmems
>                 $ chown root.groups groupmems
>                 $ groupmems -g groups -a gk4"
>
>   currently, /usr/sbin/groupmems has the following properties:
>
> # ls -l /usr/sbin/groupmems
> -rwxr-x---. 1 root root 56960 Jul 26  2013 /usr/sbin/groupmems
> #
>
>   so how should i interpret the man page? should groupmems be setgid?
> or is the man page suggesting how the reader might set it to setgid
> for further customization? the way the man page is worded seems
> ambiguous.

You should interpret the man page to say....  *If* you want to give users the ability to administer their own group membership list then follow the instructions in the "SETUP" section.

By default, this feature is not enable, thus it is not released with mode 2770 set.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts