Radeon Driver question

Max maximilianobianco33 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 04:55:36 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 09:31 PM, poma wrote:
> On 09.02.2014 00:42, Max wrote:
>> Is there some sort of configuration that needs to be done with the
>> Radeon Driver to get resolutions higher than 1280 x 1024 ? My system
>> looks like crap at that resolution but its seems to be the best I can get.
>>
>> The above is the only question that I have, the below rounds out why I
>> am asking and the other options I had considered or explored.
>>
>> The card I am using is a Radeon 6570 which I know is capable of better
>> resolution than what I am getting.
>>
>>    I am not sure what happened as I have been out of touch with this for
>> sometime. I have been using an Nvidia card in the last few years and
>> that did the trick.
>>
>> When it decided to fail I decided to go back to an ATI card, since they
>> have an open source driver.
>>
>> Aticonfig doesn't appear to work for the radeon driver. I saw the
>> radeontool but that didn't appear to help either but frankly I am not
>> sure how to use it. There is no manual page for it apparently and I am
>> not sure which registers to set nor what to set them too.
>>
>> I tried the AMD/ATI proprietary driver but it fails to build the kernel
>> module then asks for a reboot. Reboot and presto all there is, is an
>> error message. I had to uninstall it to get back to runlevel 5.  In any
>> case I also gather that kmod-radeon or catalyst is no longer available.
>> Its a shame but what can you do.
>>
>>    So I am back to my original question: Is there some sort of
>> configuration that needs to be done with the Radeon Driver to get
>> resolutions higher than 1280 x 1024 ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Max
>>
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
> "xrandr", "PreferredMode", etc.
>

> poma

Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out the radeon driver was not
parameter, but still had issues with bad graphical distortion. I ended
up chatting with a helpful fellow on freenode #radeon. Equally stumped
after looking at my dmesg and xorg log then suggested adding
radeon.dpm=1 boot parameter(turns on power management). Now its working.