Fedora 19 Freezes

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Feb 10 18:44:36 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 04:25 PM, linuxnutster at videotron.ca issued this missive:
> On 02/07/2014 04:27 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 02/07/2014 11:25 AM, linuxnutster at videotron.ca issued this missive:
>>> I have been getting a lot of freezes in Fedora 19, usually once the
>>> screensaver kicks in for a while, but also at the login prompt and when
>>> using firefox. The most recent freeze involved the screensaver. It
>>> simply locked up with the screensaver image frozen and still visible.
>>> The mouse cursor was locked and there was no activity. I ran a memtest
>>> and hard drive tests and everything came back fine.
>>>
>>> I do remember seeing several ABRT messages regarding the nvidia driver
>>> I'm using being a proprietary driver ...etc... some open source
>>> programmers hate proprietary drives... something along that end. I
>>> recently had surgery and was having trouble paying attention. ABRT also
>>> no longer seems to function, and I have updated to the latest kernel and
>>> video drivers.
>>>
>>> Where do I look for log entries to enable troubleshooting, and has
>>> anybody else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> If it's truly locked up, you may have issues. If an "ALT-F2" brings up
>> a console screen, as root try to look at the output of "dmesg" and
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you have to reboot, then you really only have
>> the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (which should be the X log for the previous
>> boot).
>>
>> I also have to use a proprietary nVidia driver on F19 as the nouveau
>> driver seizes up nastily on my hardware (an nVidia G86 [Quadro NVS
>> 290] built into my Dell T3400).
>
> Stupid question - if for whatever reason I have both kmod-nvidia and
> akmod-nvidia installed simultaneously, can this cause issues?
>
> The one thing I do see in Xorg1.log.old is the following:
>
> [ 11170.219] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
> [ 11170.219] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
> [ 11170.219] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> [ 11170.219] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> [ 11170.219] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
> [ 11170.220] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to determine chip graphics
> capabilities
>
> Plus from Xorg.0 a row of these regarding the display screen:
>
>   81.659] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Ancor Communications Inc ASUS
> VH196 (DFP-0)) does not
> [    84.142] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     support NVIDIA 3D Vision stereo.
> [    84.193] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Ancor Communications Inc ASUS
> VH196 (DFP-0)) does not
> [    84.193] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     support NVIDIA 3D Vision stereo.

Yes, having both could cause issues, but I think only one will actually
get loaded. I'm using the akmod driver since it gets rebuilt on kernel
updates and I'm really not worried about performance. What I did was
google my display adapter (I did "lspci" and looked for the VGA line)
to see which driver was appropriate for my hardware, then made sure THAT
akmod module was installed and uninstalled any others.

The kmod driver, I think, is higher performance but must be available
for the kernel when you boot that kernel...it doesn't get built as
needed.

I could be shotgunning here--I've never dug very deeply into this. This
usually happens as I migrate from one Fedora version to another. As
soon as I get the machine to behave, I have to use it. I don't have a
lot of free time to reboot a number of times to analyze what's going on.
-          su -; find / -name someone -exec touch \{\} \;            -
-                          - The UNIX way of touching someone        -