# systemctl start nfs.service works -- # systemctl enable nfs.service doesn't [NOW UNSOLVED]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 10 21:54:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 17:55 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Setting up an nfs server on a laptop running Fedora-20, I get the
> following perplexing results:
>
>         # systemctl start nfs.service
>         # systemctl enable nfs.service
>         Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>
> Sure enough, as promised, nfs works up to the next reboot, then it stops
> working.  Is the system missing a module?  Or what?

I had thought that enabling nfs-server.service to which nfs.server is
linked would enable nfs.server; but it doesn't seem to.  Here's the
latest:
        # ll /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs.service
        lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 18 Feb  1
        18:54 /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs.service -> nfs-server.service
        # systemctl list-unit-files | grep nfs
        proc-fs-nfsd.mount                          static
        var-lib-nfs-rpc_pipefs.mount                static
        nfs-blkmap.service                          disabled
        nfs-idmap.service                           disabled
        nfs-lock.service                            enabled
        nfs-mountd.service                          enabled
        nfs-rquotad.service                         disabled
        nfs-secure-server.service                   disabled
        nfs-secure.service                          disabled
        nfs-server.service                          enabled  <====
        nfs.service                                 disabled <====
        nfslock.service                             disabled
        nfs.target                                  enabled
And in fact nfs networking doesn't work till I invoke:
        # systemctl start nfs.service
(Note that nfs.target is enabled.)

What's going on?  How can I fix it

jon