Installing Linux on a windows hd

Powell, Michael Michael_Powell at mentor.com
Wed Feb 12 18:14:47 UTC 2014

> A friend who is not computer literate at all has a Dell 1520 laptop which when
> new, Dell required it have xp installed. I insisted at the time that the hd have
> 2 partitions as I intended to install either Fedora or Ubuntu but that was
> years ago and I had forgotten all about it till today.

Why did you insist that a computer illiterate person dual boot? One OS is enough to deal with, why would you trouble her with two?

> Macafee insists on updating but will not do so until she updates explorer
> which she never uses and knows nothing about. I have no idea about
> updating explorer either, never used it. I've googled but my google produces
> different results to her google search so I can't tell her to click on this or that
> option.
>
> I do not know if her xp is sp1, 2 or 3 and have no way of finding out as all
> contact is by phone, she doesn't  have a clue about finding out, me neither,
> and she lives some 120 km away.

McAfee likely needs a certain service pack or system update to continue. I would recommend that you instruct her to press the following keyboard shortcut at the Windows desktop: windows + Pause. If she has trouble finding the windows key / pause key, ask her to right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. This will open the System Properties dialog and it should say what version of Windows XP she has along with any service packs.

Windows XP SP3 (large download): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Once Service Pack 3 has been verified or has been installed, instruct her to further update Windows XP to the latest via Windows Update (Start menu->Windows update). If Windows Update has trouble starting, it may indicate that Internet Explorer needs to be updated first.

Internet Explorer 8 (large download): http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/internet-explorer-8-details.aspx

Continue updating Windows XP via Windows Update until everything has been installed, and once done, try updating McAfee again.

> I would like to run her through installing one of the Linux systems on the
> second partition but am worried that on installing it may overwrite the
> windows MBR making her windows files, folders, etc useless, particularly
> Thunderbird and Firefox. She would not be able to reinstall windows without
> me spending a day on the phone. I no longer have the stamina for epic
> phone calls.

To dual boot Windows and Linux, the recommended method is to always install Windows then Linux. The good news is that Windows XP is already installed. The bad news is that Windows XP is likely using the entire partition, and you'll have to step her through reducing the primary partition in order to create a secondary partition before installing Linux.

Are you sure this is what's best for her?

> This person has no confidence with computers. Over the years I have talked
> her through windows problems but now I am lost as to how to tackle this
> one.
>
> I understand how to get linux to clean install on the second partition and I
> think I remember about how to use it's own boot record not the MBR but
> have no idea how she would access linux with windows on the first partition.
> I would prefer to make Linux the default boot option without overwriting her
> MBR. I think this can be done as a bios option as I do on my desktop pc.
> I think the best linux option would be ubuntu 12.04LTS so she doesn't have to
> update the OS.
> Can someone direct me on the best approach for this as I would have to set
> aside 3-4 hours on the phone to walk her through a basic install before the
> file system updates, which can also take hours.
>
> Help is most gratefully appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
> Roger

Whether provoked or not, the computer literate tend to push their methods onto the computer illiterate. The issue with doing so is that the computer illiterate are then forced into dependency. There's potentially nothing wrong with this if there's a business involved, but for the occasional friendly PC repair over the phone, it's best to do what is right for the computer illiterate.

For that reason alone, I recommend that you stop pushing Linux and do either of the following:

1. Spend some time investigating PC repair places in her area over the phone. Try to develop a rapport with a computer technician that you can then direct your friend to so that she will receive friendly, in-person, service instead of just being another customer. You can pay her bill or even tip the computer technician so that he goes above and beyond.

2. Buy her Windows 7 and spend your time helping to back-up her data and installing (format) Windows 7.

3. Buy her a new machine with a newer version of Windows and help transfer her data.