Installing Linux on a windows hd

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 12 18:21:14 UTC 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 3:34 AM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I understand how to get linux to clean install on the second partition and I think I remember about how to use it's own boot record not the MBR but have no idea how she would access linux with windows on the first partition.

If she installs Fedora, and likely also Ubuntu, at boot time there's a grub menu presented and it will have one or more Linux options and one Windows option.

> I would prefer to make Linux the default boot option without overwriting her MBR.

Not possible.

> I think this can be done as a bios option as I do on my desktop pc.

Your BIOS lets you choose partitions to boot from? That's not a given. Most BIOS don't recognize  partitions, they only let you choose between drives.

> I think the best linux option would be ubuntu 12.04LTS so she doesn't have to update the OS.

Well I'd refuse that premise from the outset. For one, we don't know her workflow or budget or her interest in becoming significantly more computer literate than she is now.

I'd say complete migration away from Windows XP is mandatory. Migrating to Windows 7 alone is a superior option to dual booting Linux and XP. Enabling her to keep XP is simply bad advice so don't do that. The only way it's going to be semi-safe to use XP in several months is when disconnected from the internet.

Other options include migrating to a tablet if her needs are fairly sparse and infrequent, to maybe a Chromebook if there a bit more sophisticated like needing to write basic documents or is a moderate to prolific emailer. If the workflow requires more capable applications then I'd say she needs a user group or someone to be her IT staff - that comes first, and whoever does that determines what the OS is not the other way around.

Chris Murphy