Broken nouveau KMS

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Feb 15 22:43:41 UTC 2014

On 02/16/14 06:06, Christopher Thielen wrote:
> I believe I followed the instructions at http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/fedora-16-nvidia-drivers-install-guide-disable-nouveau-driver/ which are admittedly out of date.
>
> I _did_ have a /usr/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf, thanks for suggesting that. I deleted it and rebooted: the updated kernel then seems to have modprobe'd nouveau about 1/3 of the way through the text-based progress bar and X.org did then use the Nouveau driver, use the correct resolution, etc.
>
> The text-based progress bar still bugged me though so I tried removing the latest kernel again and re-installing it. That did it.
>
> Everything works fine now. Not sure why I'd need to remove the newer kernel again but it's all working.

The reason removing and re-installing the new kernel got it working is that during that process "dracut" is run to generate a new initramfs which would still have the blacklist.  You could have manually run "dracut" and fixed it that way as well.

Happy to hear all is well.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts