Using LightScribe on Linux???

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Feb 17 03:23:12 UTC 2014

On 02/16/2014 09:49 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 21:35:25 -0500
> Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> Can anyone point me to a site that may still have it? (or other
>> suitable substitute).
> I found light scribe labels to be almost utterly invisible
> and really pitiful looking when I tried it once a long time
> ago (using the LaCie software which was available at the time).
>
> Infinitely better looking labels can be made with inkjet
> printable media and an inkjet printer that supports
> media printing (which my Epson Artisan does, though I have
> to run the software in a virtual windows machine).
I think the "visibility" of the LightScribe labels depends on a couple
of things.
One of them is the drive, itself. The other is the software. I have the
software
from LIghtScribe, which apparently is not readily available any more
from the
manufacturer. I have it for Linux and Windows 7. Disks made from Windows
seem to have higher contrast, but not by a large amount. It may also depend
on the font. There are quite a few fonts available, and Linux and
Windows don't use
the same one by default. (I think Linux uses an Ubuntu font of some
kind--not sure.)
There's something else you can do, altho I haven't tried it. LightScribe
disks
are encoded--look carefully at the hub--and you can burn the same words
(in the same font) more than once, and it will not come out skewed. It
should
come out right on top of the last one, so you get a deeper burn.

One thing to watch out for: the disks are burned with light--probably UV--
and if you leave them in the sun, full of UV, the writing will fade. So
don't.

LIghtScribe forever!  --doug