recommendations on how to recover a corrupted, LVM-based hard drive?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 17 15:05:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:52:16PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Hallway talk, I'm afraid. However, we talked about actually having a
> > session (or even a mini-track, if there's a lot of interest) at the next
> > Flock about the near- and medium-term future of filesystems in Fedora.
> Is Fedora.next to be biased toward production or testing?

I think the Fedora Desktop/Server/Cloud products we are talking about are
more biased towards production than Fedora has sometimes been. I'm not sure
that answers your question, though.

> Should the user make that choice, and if so what changes are needed in the
> installer for them to effectively make that choice? Are the decision
> makers capable of saying "no" and actually establishing a handful of
> installed layouts?

Actually, I'm not sure this is a question. It sounds like a rhetorical
argument which happens to be in the form of a quetsion.

> Right now the installer's auto/guided/easy path permits about 80 testable
> outcomes. And yet not one of them permits Fedora 20 to be installed along
> side Fedora 19. And not one permits a prior linux OS to be replaced while
> keeping /home.

I agree that the last one seems like an important case which the installer
could cover better.

Separately, if we're really interested in allowing/encouraging parallel
installs, we probably should figure out how to make OSTree work officially.
https://lwn.net/Articles/581811/