IOMMU issue

Max maximilianobianco33 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 05:37:56 UTC 2014

On 02/17/2014 09:05 PM, Stephen Davies wrote:

> I have just used fedup to upgrade from FC17 to FC18.
>
> When I reboot into fedup, the screen is unreadable in graphics mode so
> I changed the grub configuration to use console.
>
> Now booting to fedup gives:
>
> dmar:IOMMU: failed to map dmar0
>
> and hangs/crashes/freezes.
>
> If I reboot to FC17, the system is perfectly usable but dmesg tells me:
>
> [ 0.000000] Kernel command line:
> BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64
> root=/dev/mapper/vg_mustang-lv_root ro rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True
> KEYTABLE=us rd.lvm.lv=vg_mustang/lv_swap rd.lvm.lv=vg_mustang/lv_root
> rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet
>
> [ 0.000000] PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
>
> [ 0.000000] Checking aperture...
>
> [ 0.000000] No AGP bridge found
>
> [ 0.000000] ------------[ cut here ]------------
>
> [ 0.000000] WARNING: at drivers/iommu/dmar.c:492
> warn_invalid_dmar+0x92/0xa0()
>
> [ 0.000000] Hardware name: S3210SH
>
> [ 0.000000] Your BIOS is broken; DMAR reported at address feb00000
> returns all ones!

Is there a BIOS update available ? I would guess that changes in the
kernel between F17 and F18 are not playing well with your motherboard's
BIOS.

It could be related to your video card since your getting graphical
distortion. Is this embedded graphics(onboard) or an add in graphics
card? If you have an add-in video card and there is an integrated video
chipset, have you tried removing the add-in card and working with the
onboard video ?

I would check to see if there is a BIOS update available.  I am
unfamiliar with fedup so maybe none of the above matters. Have you tried
anything else besides adding iommu=off ?