Help needed with xhost

Ambrogio De Lorenzo ogio.spam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:14:05 UTC 2014

Il giorno mar, 18/02/2014 alle 12.45 -0800, Joe Zeff ha scritto:
> On 02/18/2014 12:33 PM, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
> > I use my laptop with a user (root in this case, but please don't say
> > "don't use root").
>
> If you want to run as root, go right ahead and do so.  (I have an old
> laptop that ambles along with Puppy, because that's about all it can
> handle.  Puppy normally has only one user, and that's root, so I'm not
> in a position to tell you that you shouldn't ever run as root.)
> However, when (not if) your system gets trashed because of a typo, or
> because you used a wildcard where you shouldn't,[1] don't expect any
> sympathy from us.
Ok, this is exactly what I thought.
Well... first of all, if I use another user and I issue rm -rf * maybe I
will have a perfectly working laptop but without data! And for me data
are more important than a working system.

The problem is that there are a lot of reasons I won't use a user
instead of root, and I think that if root exist, it should e used. As in
my car I have the 1st gear, I can use it :-)

What about xhost?
There is a way to use the screen used by another user?

> [1]Hint: before using rm with a wildcard, use ls and make sure that
> you're not going to delete anything unexpected.

Bye
 Ambrogio