vim-common conflicts with vim-minimal

Max maximilianobianco33 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:07:05 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 04:12 PM, Fulko Hew wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Max <maximilianobianco33 at gmail.com
> <mailto:maximilianobianco33 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/18/2014 12:26 PM, Fulko Hew wrote:
>
>         This morning (while yum install (testing my private package))
>         I'm getting the error:
>
>         file /usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz of
>         vim-common-2:7.4.189-1.fc20.i686
>           conflicts with file from package
>         vim-minimal-2:7.4.027-2.fc20.i686
>
>         Yesterday it was fine.
>
>     Do you install and uninstall your private package on a daily basis?
>

> Actually, I've been installing it on a minute-ly basis while I've been
> updating/testing
> its .spec file to deal with bug and changes required to update it to
> support
> the changes in F20 (and latest Centos/RHEL).
>
>     Did something break overnight ?
>
>     Have you run any updates or made changes to your private package
>     recently?
>

> I reverted back to my yesterday's .spec file, and the problem remained.
> P.S.  I've been testing against F20 Live KDE
>
> For my testing today I've been erasing the vim-minimal package first,
> but that shouldn't be required.
>
>     And, whats a possible workaround?
>

>     Don't know much about packaging specifically but I'd guess that
>     both packages have a file with the same name. So a file named
>     vim.1.gz already exists in that directory.It would probably be
>     better to just uninstall vim then install your private package.
>

> Its not a conflict with _my_ package, its a conflict between
> one vim package and another vim package.

I see, I thought maybe you were installing your own vim package. That
was how I read it at any rate.
So when installing your package its not pulling in vim-common as a
dependency or anything? The message just randomly pops up out of
nowhere? I am confused. Like I said I don't know anything about
packaging but I would like to learn.

At any rate the file is specified and evidently is being supplied by
both packages as near as I can tell. So maybe the dependencies have
changed for one of the vim packages. One possibly used to pull in the
other during install, perhaps for the sole purpose of providing that
particular file. Now the file is packaged with it and so installing the
other attempts to provide the same file and error! No?