Help needed with xhost

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 18 23:44:20 UTC 2014

On 02/18/2014 10:14 PM, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
<<>>

> The problem is that there are a lot of reasons I won't use a user
> instead of root, and I think that if root exist, it should e used.

root exist to be used when it is needed. all the time is when it is
needed.

 > As in my car I have the 1st gear, I can use it :-)

1st gear is to get a car rolling with out putting a strain on the
engine. once car is rolling, shifting to next gear is to make car
roll faster, and so on to top gear.

i have a 4 speed transmission, which i always start out with 1st
gear then shift to a higher gear. some times i skip 3rd and go
straight to 4th. seldom, i skip 2nd and shift to 3rd, then 4th.
but that is driving a car.

all of which is entirely different from being a user in an os.

but as Joe Zeff says, run 'top gear' all the time if you so
desire, but be sure that you make backups every time before
you log off, and every time you add anything.

it is your time and your system you are using, if you wish
to do so unwisely it is your choice. but it is your time to
be spent when you have to rebuild or reinstall.

i would estimate that most all users, like 99.99%, on this
list log in as a user and use root only when necessary and
it is because most all users on this list are practiced,
educated and well informed users. if you want to be a part
of the 00.01%, have at it.

also, do be aware that there are some programs and commands
that will not work as a "logged in as root" user. ;-)

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.