Help needed with xhost

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 19 15:41:12 UTC 2014

On 02/19/2014 12:03 PM, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 18/02/2014 alle 23.44 +0000, g ha scritto:
>>
>> On 02/18/2014 10:14 PM, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote: <<>>
>
>> i would estimate that most all users, like 99.99%, on this list
 >> log in as a user and use root only when necessary and it is
 >> because most all users on this list are practiced, educated
 >> and well informed users. if you want to be a part of the 00.01%,
 >> have at it.
>>
>> also, do be aware that there are some programs and commands that
>> will not work as a "logged in as root" user. ;-)
>>

> Ok, I understand very well every problems related to the use of
 > root or administrator.
>
> Translate to another question: I use a normal user, but I want to
 > use another user for another program, because I don't want that the
> programs can access to my data. The program has a GUI so I need at
> least to permit to that user or that program to acquire my screen.
> This was the scope of xhost.

i am at loss as to just what you mean by;

}> The program has a GUI so I need at least to permit to that
}> user or that program to acquire my screen.

if you mean that that you want 'user-y' to use 'user-x' screen
settings/setups, then you can/could soft link the 'user-y' screen
settings/setups to the 'user-x' screen settings/setups.

in such a linking, you will/would/should check to see what settings
have the 'pointers' for _data_ and make adjustments accordingly.

also, be aware that if 'user-y' makes any changes to settings/setups,
they will change settings/setups for 'user-x' also.

> There is a reason for xhost works on fedora 14 and not on fedora 20?
> I mean, there is a tecnical reason, not a philosophical reason. For
> example, I know that vlc don't work as root because programmers
> choosed that. In that case I can change user and launch vlc as a
 > less priviledged user.

not really 'less privileged user', "users" are only 'less privileged'
than "root".

> Now I can't and I would like to know why.

explain.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.