Fedora 20 how to switch desktop environment?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 20 21:01:53 UTC 2014

On 02/21/14 01:23, James wrote:
> I use MATE originally. I installed GNOME, XFCE and KDE. I want to switch one from another to see their difference. How can I do this?

Remember, Display Manager != Desktop Environment.

If you want to switch the Display Manager, say from gdm to kdm.

systemctl disable gdm.service
systemctl enable kdm.service
reboot

If you want to switch Desktop Environment for a given user.  That is done from the login screen.  If using gdm, that option doesn't appear until you select a user.  If you are using kdm, it is always there as "Session Type"

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts